Sunday, October 08, 2006

Under the Influence

Just before I left New York, Garth gave me a going-away present. It was a little book called The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas by Gertrude Stein. He told me perhaps you will like this book, it is all about being a writer in Europe and knowing terribly interesting people and having terribly interesting conversations and then writing all about it. And it is a charming book to read on a Sunday first in bed and then on the porch and later in bed again. In this book Gertrude Stein tells about her famous friends Picasso and Braque and Juan Gris and Apollinaire, and how they came over for dinner and said something very witty, and how they remembered it years later when they met again in Italy. It is all amusing and very good gossip but the problem and it is a big problem is that one starts to think like Gertrude Stein. It is all well and good for Gertrude Stein to think like Gertrude Stein but it is somewhat less appropriate for others who are not Gertrude Stein to think in her voice. One gets to look at the little episodes in one’s life as if they were stories being told by Gertrude Stein in this book or in any other book any book that is written by Gertrude Stein.

For instance just yesterday Rick was at his computer where he is very often and as he often does he said listen to this, I have found something to listen to. It was a song about The Blob called Beware of The Blob sung by The Five Blobs. It was a very silly song with silly words about how The Blob creeps and creeps and seeps. It was in short utterly charming and I sang it to myself for days afterwards. Then again today Rick at his computer said look at this you must come look at this I have found something else. Do you remember that song about The Blob and of course I did remember that song about The Blob well that song was written by Burt Bacharach, he said, that is why you remember it so well.

I need a new book to read.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

everything is illuminated
or
colors insulting to nature

i've been telling you to read them for a while
now it is time to have your mind blown

Jessamyn Harris said...

heh, I was thinking, "I've never read any Stein" but then when you were continuing to write in that voice I was like, "perhaps I have after all." or at least someone who ripped off her style.

dude, dude, dude... does that book mention that she (alice) is a hella stoner?! awesome. check out the peter sellers movie "I love you alice b. toklas"... it sucks! xoxo

Anonymous said...

But it does have a nifty theme song.

Anonymous said...

Do you know that the entire time that I was reading this entry, I was thinking, "Why is Sarah writing as if she is talking like Winnie the Pooh?" Perhaps Stein read a lot of A.A. Milne? Pooh is awesome.

Jessamyn Harris said...

"But it does have a nifty theme song."

So true.